Metcalf Elementary School was named in honor of the Metcalf Mining Camp that was founded in the late 1890’s. Metcalf had approximately 5,000 people at its peak time. It housed a post office, the Arizona Copper Community Store, and an elementary and high school. The elementary school was two stories and was opened in 1913. Metcalf was abandoned when mining started in the Morenci mine. 100 years later, Metcalf emerged again as the current elementary school in Morenci, AZ.