Welcome future and current wildcats
Morenci High School (MHS) has a rich and long history that includes academic and athletic excellence. The staff of our school are some of the finest educators and service personnel anywhere in Arizona, and are committed to our students and their success. MHS currently serves approximately 390 students from Greenlee County in eastern Arizona. In 2016, Morenci High School was designated as one of 40 schools in Arizona to be awarded the coveted A+ label by the Arizona Education Foundation. MHS was the only rural high school in Arizona to receive this award. Contributing to this distinguished award are many excellent opportunities for students Morenci High School, including:
• An award winning, nationally recognized dual credit program in which students can earn college credits from Morenci High School and Eastern Arizona College free of charge for the student. Currently approximately 10% of graduating seniors are completing an Associates or AGEC degree before they even graduate.
• JTED (Joint Technological Education District) classes through GIFT (Gila Institute for Technology) that include Industrial Electrician, Graphic Design, Media, Computer Aided Drafting, Engineering, Welding, Wood Shop, Culinary, Nursing Sports Medicine, and Cosmetology.
• Culinary Arts training through our Paw Express Club, which won the Golden Bell Award for high schools in Arizona in 2016. This club gives students a unique experience in the food service industry and challenges them to be great problem solvers and independent thinkers.
• Character Education training in Cat Academy. Students in this class are exposed to character development and positive values formulation in a setting that builds togetherness and instills a sense of belonging and worth for all students.
• An excellent music program including choir and the Morenci Pride Band. The Morenci Pride Band has won numerous awards in the past several years and has a very active schedule including performing in the Holiday Bowl Parade and performing at Six Flags in Texas.
• A multitude of extra-curricular activities including several different honor societies, many clubs, and 11 different athletic teams.
At MHS, our staff works hard to build positive and caring relationships with our students and parents. A Site Council composed of staff, students, and parents is responsible for making many decisions regarding all aspects of our school. We encourage parent participation in our school and value parent input. We strongly encourage parents to be involved with their child’s education simply because it makes a positive difference in the student’s level of achievement. Parents can be assured that Morenci High School is committed to the academic and social development of your student, and will ensure an environment that is supportive and caring. Together we all can make a difference in our students’ lives!